Thursday, September 12, 2019

Technology in the Classroom.

In the modern-day classroom, the inclusion of technology is almost guaranteed. We're exposed to all assortments of technology in classrooms, whether it be personal devices or the teacher's tools. we live in a day and age where technology is applied to every aspect of our day to day life. Smartphones, tablets, car apps, smart watches, etc... We are well on our way to the majority of the appliances and products we use becoming mini computers, in a sense. The same goes for the modern-day classroom, Teachers and students alike are totally comfortable with technology, so it makes sense that it is integrated into the classroom. In attempts to keep up with our ever-evolving technology era, ISTE standards are put into place.

ISTE stands for The International Society for Technology in Education. The ISTE is defined as a "nonprofit organization that serves educators interested in the use of technology in education" (Google.) A standard listed in the ISTE that hits home with me is the "setting personal learning goals and applying approaches made possible by technology and reflecting on their effectiveness." It is essential, as an educator and as a student, to be able to identify strengths and weaknesses. We need to pinpoint what it is we need to learn in order to improve ourselves. I would want to implement this idea into my classroom, and would encourage my students to embrace learning through their provided technological resources. A standard that I would have a harder time adjusting to is "create learning opportunities that challenge students to use a design process and computational thinking to innovate and solve problems." This is a challenge for me because I struggle to be creative in a computational sense, as I am not as "tech savvy" as I would like to be.



In terms of digital natives, I believe it is only going to escalate. Right now, technology is relevant to every way of life. I'm a freshman in college in the year 2019 and almost every assignment I submit is done digitally. When I have my students, it will only grow, and I will need to be taught new things, just as I have had to assist my teachers with technology in the past. It will only grow, and it is our job to keep up with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment